RE: Reputation Services and HELO/EHLO Checking For Unified SPF

2004-07-02 11:51:48
On Fri, 2 Jul 2004 13:02:25 -0500, Seth Goodman: wrote in:
Don't you think that rather than go through all this effort at
creating a distributed, fine-grained RHSBL with the explicit goal of
protecting small domain owners whose ISP's do not have adequate controls on
their MTA's, it might be easier to simply _require_ providers to support SMTP
AUTH _and_ to limit the From: and Sender: addresses to the login address?  We
can then go back to regular old DNSBL's that we already have and everybody
is protected.
I understand that technology is cool, but we shouldn't necessarily do
something just because we can.

Whilst I agree that ISP's should "tighten up" on the use of
their MTA's, the problem seems to be for vanity domain owners
whom are "forced" to forge their from addresss to be able to
send mail, since they don't want to or cannot run an MTA from
an suitable clean IP.

If ISP's tightened up as you suggest it would be good, but they
would also need to provide a way for vanity domain owners to
smarthost their mail also.

In this I can see many problems, aside from what they would
charge, they would also need to sure you were the owner of the
domain, if they were going to allow you to relay, otherwise
anyone could list any domain they want to relay. Ok it would
get sorted pretty quickly, but it doesn't take long to give a
domain a bad reputation.

I think this seems to suggest that vanity domain owners (I
assume this is defined as those that do not run an MTA, or fork
out for a managed service), will need to find a DNS provider
(solving the ownership issue), that provides a complete mail
service, particularly AUTH mail out. Looks like a good business
opportunity if well priced, to provide this managed service,
which by my definition would stop it being a vanity domain.

I think this may be a good long term outcome, even if not
popular with vanity domain owners, whom can get currently have
the "privledge" of a domain email for peanuts.

Email via Mailtraq4Free from Enstar (www.mailtraqdirect.co.uk)