Re: Intuit

2004-07-12 10:00:24
On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 09:26:37AM -0700, Waitman C Gobble II wrote:
| Just noticed that Intuit has their "email invoices" using the account
| holder's email address as the "From" address. For example, when my wife
| sends an invoice to a customer using their service, the "from" address
| is her email address however the email is sent from Intuit's servers.
| These emails are getting rejected based on SPF authorized hosts for the
| domain.
|
| I notified Intuit of this issue however I am not sure if it will get any
| response or action.

can you share with us the letter you used?  we can put a
form letter generator on the website that explains what
companies need to do to correct their behaviour.

| What is the general opinion here regarding this type of
| issue?

The general opinion is that this is a known issue, we have
known it would be a problem for over a year, the way to
solve it is through industry education, and many companies
including evite.com and egreetings.com have already made the
necessary changes.  I am sure Intuit will not be far behind.

| I am certain it will become a bigger issue down the
| road. Essentially Intuit is "forging" the from
| address. Should people that use similar services have to
| set up SPF for those hosts? Or should these services use a
| valid "from" address for their domain and perhaps use the
| customer's address in "reply-to".

They can do this, or they can set a Sender: header.

See
http://archives.listbox.com/spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com/200407/0198.html

| On a different note, not sure if you have seen this article
| http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,63708,00.html
|
| Somebody on a different mailing list was talking about "Microsoft's
| sender-id that will eliminate spam".

Yes, having Microsoft in our camp is another big plus.