Re: SPF is not usable as legal measure against spammers. DomainKeys are probably yes. Routers hacked by spammers scenario.

2004-07-13 19:43:18
[John Glube]
* A spammer using a throw away domain with a
published SPF record transmits unsolicited
commercial email in bulk into the system without
using false headers.

Is the transmitting of the UBCE actionable in and
of itself? That depends upon local law.

Does the legal situation change with Domain Keys?
No.

Nope.
It's different.
www.mygreatingcards.com non-throw away domain owners will think twice before
sending spam.
To avoid/workaround throwaway domains usage we can establish PGP-trust like
rating system.

Think about future:
SPF or DK now prevent bulk mailing by blocking open-relays and possibly
throwaway domains.
What will be price for companies to organize bulk mailings? Price will
definitely increase.
As result spamming technology will evolve.
a) Throwaway domains will not be real throwaways - they will be
multipurpose.
Real and valuable portals supported using network/freelance people will send
you spam.
b) Or hackers will hack portal ISP routers (not a MTA) to send spam and as
byproduct destroy portal reputation.
There will not be clear line between spammer and legit company.

SPF will not be able to adapt to this. DK will.
You will be able to prove that "MyProduct Co." really spammed you or failed
to protect their private keys.
For a first time court will order them to make all necessary precautions,
every next time they will have to pay a fine or go to jail.

I do not see any reasons to invest valuable resources in temporary solution.

--
Andriy G. Tereshchenko
TAG Software