Re: MX secondary problem?

2004-07-13 23:38:46
On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 06:35:37PM -0700, Dennis Carr wrote:
By perusing my log files, I'm noticing that some spammers will go in
through my MX 20 record, and bypass whatever I have as countermeasures
that way.  I suppose the theory is that I will always accept mail from
mx2.speakeasy.net.

On the other hand, removing the MX 20 record could be a problem in the
event of a prolonged down time.  The mail theoretically has to go
somewhere, and I'd rather have it sit on a secondary mx until I come
back up, as some MTAs are configured to just bounce right away.

So as such, is there a solution I'm missing?

Well, maybe not the solution you are looking for, but this is how I
solved it:
I have a deal with another small company that does it's own mail
handling (owned by someone whom I trust very much), I use their primary
as my secondary and vice versa. I manage both MTA's, the other party is
just too happy to let me handle the technical stuff, and thus I make
sure they both implement exactly the same policy.

Kind regards,

Koen

Networking, embedded systems, unix expertise, artificial intelligence.

Send us money!  http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html