Re: SPF will solve spam and punish spammers

2004-07-23 12:14:10
Le vendredi 23 Juillet 2004 21:03, John Keown a écrit :

If you can not afford $500 a year then you cannot afford to run a domain or
a mailserver.
My reason for this is it takes more than $500 a year to keep up with the
technology of running as GOOD SECURE mail server.

This assertion is real stupid. Get out of your strictly corporate mind. As a
private individual (not talking about my professional activities), my MTA
software cost is ZERO, as everything is based upon Free Software. It only
costs me time to maintain, administrate and operate.

My hardware is relatively cheap PC stuff, even though it uses RAID and the
like.

I personnaly own 5 domains, each not-for-any-profit, none having ever sent any
spam.
If registering a domain costs $500 a year, it woud cost me $2500 a year just
for keeping my domains registration. I believe I have better things to do
with the money, for example upgrade some hardware and buy some disks.

I know some geeks that have hardly enough money to feed their family and who
anyway afford the price for a DSL connection and $12 a year for their domain
name. Because it's just their right to be there and to have a presence on the
Internet.

And I know a number of non-profit or charity organizations that have much
better to do with $500, rather than spend them for registering their domain
name.

--
Michel Bouissou <michel(_at_)bouissou(_dot_)net> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E