Re: Support for Internationalized Explanations

2004-07-25 15:27:38
On 25 Jul 2004 at 20:26, Michel Bouissou wrote:

Remember that the message is intended for the message SENDER, and you
have no way of knowing what language he speaks.

I would make an exception to this for SPF however (not talking about the
charset, who definitely should remain 7-bit ASCII, but about the language).
SPF allows for customizing in DNS the SMTP SPF rejection message that will be
presented to somebody using a @yourdomain MAIL FROM address, and being
bounced for SPF failure.

You are absolutely right, I was not thinking that the MTA-rejection
message comes from the sending domains's DNS anyway. Of course you know
your senders, and you know the language that they speak, so this all
makes sense.

Anyway I doubt that any (regular) user really READS a bounce message.
Most people will just bug the admin or try it again. The error messages
in those bounces are very hard for most people to find, as every MTA
generates them in a different way (mostly in english), e.g. "This is the
Postfix program at host <xxx>. I'm sorry to have to inform you that the
message returned below could not be delivered to one or more
destinations." .. bla bla bla... and then somewhere below you have the
french SPF-message. Will that help? Or confuse?

--
Ernesto Baschny <ernst(_at_)baschny(_dot_)de>
 http://www.baschny.de - PGP: http://www.baschny.de/pgp.txt