Re: Re: Support for Internationalized Explanations

2004-07-25 15:30:47
Le lundi 26 Juillet 2004 00:19, Chris Haynes a écrit :

Regarding the decision on which human language to use, whoever has to write
the SPF rejection explanation has to pick a single language to use.

Yes.

The people who matter are not the 'illegals', it is those legitimate senders
whose messages are being rejected by SPF and who need to be told why this
has happened.

Yes.

These are the friends and aquantances of the would-be recipient, she wants
to help them understand what has happened and what they should do to be
able to get through to her.

 It's my belief that the recipient is the only person who can decide which
language is the appropriate one to use for the explanation sent to her
'legitimate' senders.

No.

The recipient doesn't know WHO is going to write to him, and from what country
he writes, or which languages he understands.

Example, I'm french, and most of my friends are (which sounds logical) so I
might want to generate error messages in french ? But no, a lot of non-french
relations write to me who don't understand french, and we then only have
english in common.

The current "SPF custom explanation model", which I find to be very smart,
assumes that the SENDER DOMAIN is the best placed to know what languages it's
(alledged) members speak.

Furthermore, SPF is a way of publishing the SENDER DOMAIN policy regarding
sending MTAs, so it's logical, as the policy is determined by the SENDER
domain, that the error messages to be returned when this policy is violated
should be determined by the (alledged) SENDER domain as well.

It's already the way it works, and it works good, so I don't really see where
the issue is...

--
Michel Bouissou <michel(_at_)bouissou(_dot_)net> OpenPGP ID 0xDDE8AC6E

  Donc rien ne dit que le pauvre barbu pourra continuer longtemps à
  défendre l'universalité de son serveur face à la pression
  netscapoftisante des cybaire-marketoïdes.
  -+- CP in: Guide du Cabaliste Usenet - Pensées Cabalistiques -+-