Re: Re: Support for Internationalized Explanations

2004-07-25 15:19:18
Frank,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I'm trying to analyse all the responses.

Am I right that one of your objections is to the "Explanation" feature of the
current spec per se (regardless of my attempts to internationalize it);  that
you think its a waste of time and bandwidth?

Regarding the specific choice of UTF-8 and the encoding, I was hoping to avoid
opening this up as a whole debate in itself. If one is going to do something
like I have proposed, there has to be just one encoding used - mandated by
specification (as there are no facilities in the DNS TXT record to indicate the
use of more than one encoding).

The IETF "Policy on Character Sets and Languages" RFC2277,  when talking about
text strings, states that "Protocols MUST be able to use the UTF-8 charset". Is
this sufficient authority for my proposal?

I would refer those still concerned about the choice of UTF-8, and about the %HH
encoding, to the extensive debates which have taken place elsewhere
(public-iri(_at_)w3(_dot_)org ) concerning the decisions on IRI encoding and to
the
excellent Character Model produced by the W3C http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/

Regarding the decision on which human language to use, whoever has to write the
SPF rejection explanation has to pick a single language to use.  The people who
matter are not the 'illegals', it is those legitimate senders whose messages are
being rejected by SPF and who need to be told why this has happened.

These are the friends and aquantances of the would-be recipient, she wants to
help them understand what has happened and what they should do to be able to get
through to her.

 It's my belief that the recipient is the only person who can decide which
language is the appropriate one to use for the explanation sent to her
'legitimate' senders.  Restricting the character set to US-ASCII effectively
restricts the language choice to English - a minority language when assessed
globally.

Chris