Re: Support for Internationalized Explanations

2004-07-25 16:47:10
Chris Haynes wrote:

Am I right that one of your objections is to the
"Explanation" feature of the current spec per se (regardless
of my attempts to internationalize it);  that you think its
a waste of time and bandwidth?

Yes.  Adding a specific error code 5?? to SMTP would be better,
it's then up to the "sender" to display a corresponding error
message in the language of its user.

If one is going to do something like I have proposed, there
has to be just one encoding used

Probably, unless you'd use RfC 2047 for more than one encoding.

"Protocols MUST be able to use the UTF-8 charset". Is this
sufficient authority for my proposal?

And what is the solution for SMTP error messages ?  If there is
a solution, let's copy it, otherwise let's wait until somebody
has a general solution (e.g. based on your %-encoded UTF-8, or
my MIME-encoded 2047 constructs).

excellent Character Model produced by the W3C

TTBOMK the W3C isn't concerned with 7-bit SMTP dialogues.

http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/

Yes, I know this beast, I've even sent three comments to its
"Last Call" back in March.

whoever has to write the SPF rejection explanation has to
pick a single language to use.

Not necessarily.  "See / siehe <http://example/why.html?x=y>"
(where "siehe" is German) could work.  The real explanation is
the URL, and _there_ the W3C recommendations work.  But not for
the exp= string.

It's my belief that the recipient is the only person who can
decide which language is the appropriate one to use for the
explanation sent to her 'legitimate' senders.

No, the recipient doesn't know which of several languages (and
charsets) is the best,  And the domain owner (author of "exp")
also can't be sure.  Unless all users of this domain have a
common language.

Restricting the character set to US-ASCII effectively
restricts the language choice to English

That's not true.  There are many ways to encode other charsets
and languages in us-ascii (QP, B64, RfC 2047, punycode, UTF-7,
%-encoded UTF-8, etc.)

a minority language when assessed globally

See also <http://www.iana.org/assignments/lang-tags/i-default>
There are IMHO more pressing issues with [Sender-Id] than the
encoding of SPF exp= strings.
                             Bye, Frank