Re: mail administrator certification example

2004-07-30 20:43:54
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, John Keown wrote:

I will give one example just given to me on another list where spf will not
even slow spam on zombies.

I could care less.  All I want is that mail from amazon.com is really
from amazon.com.  For instance, dealing with azerty.com is a pain because
they have no SPF, no reverse DNS, no nothing to authenticate the main
they send.  Today, the boss ordered some tapes from azerty.com.  He
said "whitelist azerty.com - I need to get their email!".  I said,
tell me which IP is really azerty, and I'll be happy to add a record for
them to our local surrogate SPF data.  After a brief shouting match, we
ended up watching the log to see which IP claiming to be azerty.com
tried to connect a few seconds after he asked their web site to reset
his password.  This turned out to be the correct one.  I have no
idea how non-geek customers tell the fraudulent azerty mail from the
genuine.  I guess they know azerty doesn't sell enlargers for selected
parts of human anatomy.