Re: Re: Multiple txt records?

2004-08-03 04:02:53
In <20040803093710(_dot_)GA11244(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> Stephane Bortzmeyer
<bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr> writes:

The reasons why SPF is badly wrong in using TXT records are explained
in the Internet-draft "Design Choices When Expanding DNS" by
P. Faltstrom and R. Austein (draft-ymbk-dns-choices-00.txt) and you
did not reply to them.

I have read that paper, and I did reply to the points raised in it.  The
issues with TXT records was discussed to death on the MARID list and
even DNS gurus don't seem to have a huge problem the way SPF is using
TXT records.

Basically what that I-D says is "never use TXT for anything because we
will run out of TXT RR space."  It is stupid.  What the DNS people
should do is uses some of the tens of thousands of completely unused
RR numbers and allocate a whole bunch of TXT-like RRs for people to
use.

-wayne