Re: Good Domain List one step closer to reality (actually two steps)

2004-08-13 14:34:48
On Fri, Aug 13, 2004 at 11:30:26PM +0200, jpinkerton wrote:
From: "Mark C. Langston" <mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org>

Obviously, if each mail recipient implements a different reputation
system, reputation gets marginalized because reputation is inherently a
shared metric; without sharing, reputation is based entirely on direct
personal experience.  While this can still be effective, it takes a long
time to establish a baseline for a given identity, and the problem of
novel identities is encountered with a frequency so high as to be
problematic.

Interesting - could it not be arranged so that an individual has call on the
shared reputation "database", but can also choose to use his own
experience - much like building your own black/whitelists in SpamAssassin -
either combined with the community standards or on his own?

Exactly so.  This is in a very vague way how GOSSiP works.

I appreciate your explanation, Mark.  Where do I find GOSSiP?  I'll take a
look at what been published and maybe stop asking stupid questions ;-)

http://sufficiently-advanced.net/ .  The mechanisms and protocol have
been fleshed out, and development has begun (in fact, I'm working on the
Postfix GOSSiP interface right now).

--
Mark C. Langston            GOSSiP Project          Sr. Unix SysAdmin
mark(_at_)bitshift(_dot_)org   http://sufficiently-advanced.net