Re: Patent license

2004-08-25 01:57:22
The fear I have is that M$ will pursue this regardless of what we or MARID
say or do.  Can anyone think of a specific case where M$ dropped the pursuit
of a patent?  Once the patent is granted - which is not a fore-gone
conclusion, but is much more likely than not, given the weight of M$'s legal
team and the methodolgy of the US patent office - the patent-holder will be
calling the shots, and the internet community will have to comply with what
M$ decrees, or look elsewhere for a solution that does something akin to
sender-ID.

The vagueness of the specification to be patented is also a major concern.
If there is any possibility that any of the code, etc for SPF is included in
any part of the documents they have mentioned, then SPF is going to belong
to M$ as well. I leave it for others to decide whether the two documents
include SPFclassic work or not.

I fear that the WG have walked into the trap - I just hope that SPFclassic
is not touched by this, but at the moment it is unclear and I don't have the
cash to pay for legal clarification.  Does that mean I abandon projects to
include SPFclassic? Well I'm hoping there will be some clarification on this
list or the WG list, but I'm not holding my breath.  M$ business managers
will be milking the situation for everything they can, and that might mean
they will include the SPF work.  As part of their business plan they
probably will specifically *not* clarify the situation to MARID.  The M$
contributors on the MARID list will probably be kept in the dark by M$
management so that they can genuinely say they don't know.  The
clarification will only be made to the patent office at the last possible
moment - to protect the commercial interests.

Am I cynical - not especially, but I have worked for big organisations and
understand their methods.  I am now a small, self-employed operator and can
see how the road ahead lies from a business point of view - that's what I'm
good at after some 35 years in business around the world.

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492