Re: Microsoft released more info Aug 30, 2004

2004-09-03 07:13:55
----- Original Message -----
From: "David Brodbeck" <gull(_at_)gull(_dot_)us>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, September 03, 2004 3:48 PM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Microsoft released more info Aug 30, 2004

On Fri, 3 Sep 2004 11:04:39 +0200, jpinkerton wrote
All this is all very well, but there appears to be no procedure for
putting
a case to the USPO concerning prior-art or obviousness.  Do you know
of any such procedure?  Without an opportunity to put a case,
 there's little point in discussing what the case will be :-/

AFAIK, there is no way to do that.  You have to wait until after the
patent is
granted, then challenge it in court.  The problem, of course, is that
hardly
anyone has enough money to take on Microsoft's legal team.

If that is the case I respectfully suggest that we cease discussing the
whole IPR issue because -

1.    We don't know the detail of what's being applied for.
2.    We can't influence whether it's granted or not.
3.    We can't afford to challenge it.

I reckon we've wasted enough brainpower, bandwidth and RSI on something that
is beyond our control - as I have been saying for quite a while now.

Can we focus on SPF -classic / -unified / -whatever , which we know works,
we know is unencumbered, we know people are using it already, and we know
it's free in every sense?  I believe we have unresolved problems with
getting -all usable for sub-domains and multiple hop mails.  Now that would
just about fix the authentication of a sender, which is a major step against
spam in most people's view, I believe

We also need to get more ISP's etc to implement it, and I would happily add
a list of mail service companies implementing spf to a web page similar to
and linked from/to the one at www.spf.idimo.com .  I will also happily host
(outside USA) anything else that might be needed for the furtherance of this
open-source solution.  Spreading the word is vital if we're going to get
this a de-facto standard.  Maybe we should just use one of these really
cheap mail-shot services that come in my inbox every day ?  ;-)

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492