Re: spfv1 and spf2/pra

2004-09-04 08:36:29
On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 16:18, Michael Weiner wrote:
On Sat, 2004-09-04 at 16:02 +0100, Paul Howarth wrote:
You shouldn't need to worry about this. Implementations of "SPF Classic"
should retrieve all TXT records for a domain and discard any that don't
start with "v=spf1". So there shouldn't be a problem with ordering, just
as is the case with non-SPF related TXT records (which I also use).

Thanks for your response, but i think the issue here is that it wont
return BOTH records, but the first it receives, which randomly could be
either spfv1 or spf2/pra. if classic receives spf2/pra, wont it
disregard it as it doesnt understand those records?

No, I believe a query for the TXT record(s) for a domain should always
return all records, but not in any specific order, e.g.

$ dig @ns1.userfriendly.net userfriendly.net txt +short
"v=spf1 ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
"spf2.0/pra +ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
$ dig @ns1.userfriendly.net userfriendly.net txt +short
"spf2.0/pra +ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
"v=spf1 ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
$ dig @ns1.userfriendly.net userfriendly.net txt +short
"spf2.0/pra +ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
"v=spf1 ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
$ dig @ns1.userfriendly.net userfriendly.net txt +short
"spf2.0/pra +ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
"v=spf1 ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
$ dig @ns1.userfriendly.net userfriendly.net txt +short
"v=spf1 ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"
"spf2.0/pra +ip4:68.22.33.177/29 ?all"

Paul.
--
Paul Howarth <paul(_at_)city-fan(_dot_)org>