Re: argh ... I wish people would RTFRFC

2004-09-08 07:02:58
The wizard at pobox.com is pretty good, but, being written like the spec, it
allows all the orthogonal possibilities.  Probably needs more help, more
examples, etc..

The wizard at http://www.spftools.net/create.php seems to be broken.  I tried
it for a real domain and it would not generate a usable record.  Intermediate
results seemed good, but the end product left most everything out.

The wizard at
http://www.anti-spamtools.org/SenderIDEmailPolicyTool/Default.aspx  , the one
Microsoft points to and headlines "Sponsored by Microsoft" seems also to be
broken in more than one way.  When I try to make a record with a and mx it
gives  v=spf2.0/pra mx -all    When I try just a it gives v=spf2.0/pra -all
Also,the -all option is in small type at the bottom of the page (off screen on
most monitors).  Not good, since this is one of the most important parts.  The
2.0/pra bit is also obviously bad because it refers to proposals under
consideration in MARID that have not been approved, are still controversial and
are, at the moment, completely non standard..

In short, there are sloppy people out there and it doesn't help matters at all.

Probably need to be up front somewhere rather public and say that the wizard at
pobox is good but some other ones out there are broken.  Make a few people mad,
but might prevent some confusion.  Meng, next time you talk to a reporter, you
might mention this.

Mark Holm