Re: argh ... I wish people would RTFRFC

2004-09-08 03:27:09
Mark wrote:

No. As has been brought up, though, the confusion probably exists
because of DNS A records. So, while people should still have RTFM-ed,
I can understand the mistake (you could perhaps even say that, for
this reason, the choice of "a" to represent a domain name, instead
of its namesake A record, was somewhat unfortunate).

Reading myself back, I believe I worded this a bit awkwardly. What I meant is the following:

An A record assigns an IP address to a domain name. I believe the erroneous "a:1.2.3.4" representation happens because people mentally interpret the RHS of what comes after the ":" as that which is assigned to the A record: an IP address.

- Mark

       System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,