Re: "include" directive in -03 SPF draft

2004-09-17 00:40:48
Not all of this universally accepted dogma, but I is IMHO reasonable to
give this point of view due consideration. Please reconsider the decision
to burden the standard with client visile "include" directives, this
should not I think be exposed outside the owners zone management tools.

I think that's a good point, but the "include" directive allows
semantics not possible otherwise.  Removing it removes functionality
from SPF and ignores the complexities involved in managing DNS and how
email authority is often delegated to different companies and parts of
an organization.  SPF clients also have to watch out for excessive DNS
queries resulting from evaluation of SPF records, so the burden of
include via other mechanisms is just not all that significant.

I would, however, be in favor of more well-defined (and somewhat lower)
DNS query limits than the current ones.

Daniel

--
Daniel Quinlan                     ApacheCon! 13-17 November (3 SpamAssassin
http://www.pathname.com/~quinlan/  http://www.apachecon.com/  sessions & more)