RE: Article on Microsoft patents and Caller ID

2004-09-21 10:08:30
On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, guy wrote:

Question for Meng Weng Wong:

This list has been told that you have an agreement with Microsoft.
What can you tell us about your agreement with Microsoft?

[The proper person to answer this is Meng, my answer should not be
 taken as anything more then my personal opinion/understanding about
 Meng's and Microsoft agreement to work together]

To the best of my knowledge based on long time ago talking to Meng at
MARID interim meeting, the agreement with Microsoft was about combining
SPF and CallerID as part of the MARID effort. As part of that agreement
Microsoft agreed to support original SPF v1 dns format in addition
to supporting new MARID developed dns record (which was to be based
on XML) with identity that both records authenticating being either
mail-from rfc2821 or caller-id rfc2822 (that last part I never understood
but it appears they thought that both identities are identical or at
least as Mark argued that both identities SPF records would be identical).

The situation has changed quite a bit from that time with xml dns record
being dropped by MARID and the only remaining dns record type being SPF.

Since the time MARID chairs posted that both SPF classic mail-from and
PRA were to be separated and published as separate scopes of SPF2.0 record,
Microsoft has made statements that they will not be supporting SPF 2.0/mfrom
scope nor would they be supporting original SPF v1 but will continue to
develop CallerID/PRA concept and authenticate email based on that, and
will be deploying this soon starting October.

As such unless there were "secret articles" on the agreement between
Microsoft and Meng, I don't think that agreement is valid any more
as Microsoft will not be supporting SPF 1.0 records nor would IETF
be developing standard based on their dns xml scheme.

---
William Leibzon, Elan Networks:
 mailto: william(_at_)elan(_dot_)net
Anti-Spam Research Worksite: