Re: Article on Microsoft patents and Caller ID

2004-09-21 20:59:06
On Tue, Sep 21, 2004 at 07:24:14PM -0400, Meng Weng Wong wrote:

| Hmm.  It looks like patent law has managed to achieve the
| exact opposite of what it was meant to do.  Maybe this is a
| sign that patent law is broken.

Even though RMS can be hard to work with, he's right about
patents here:

  http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=04/09/09/1612239

So folks should go sign the petitions at

  http://www.ffii.org/

Here's why:

  Remember how, for a time in the 90s, you had to download
  crypto software from non-US ftp servers?

  If Europe stays free of software patents, the same situation
  might occur.

  And, as a person directly affected by the pending Microsoft
  patent on sender authentication technologies, I'd love any
  excuse to move to the south of France for a couple of years
  :)