Re: Two reasons why software patents are bad

2004-09-28 00:16:12

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hector Santos" <winserver(_dot_)support(_at_)winserver(_dot_)com>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2004 1:57 AM
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Two reasons why software patents are bad

How odd.  Your URL ask for a sign up.  A search via Google News went
directly.  I was able to read it. Thanks. :=)

Took me a while too - here's the FREE url for folks  :-)

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/27/technology/27patent.html

And just so that you all know that this is an old problem - here's another
one, closely related...

http://www.around.com/patent.html

I agree with the idea that more information needs to get into the hands of
examiners.

But AFAIK there is no method of getting information into the patent office
when a patent is being considered.  Lets face it - they are *much* better
off just taking the fees and allowing us to squabble in court later.

This merely re-inforces several things.

USA patent law is an abomination, but it exists and is unlikely to change
(given that there were calls to change it in 2000), so we have to live with
it.

We can not afford to play with M$ on their home ground (legal and
financial).

So -

We need to get SPF so widely used, even if it is only classic, that it
becomes impossible for anyone to highjack.

Slainte,

JohnP.
johnp(_at_)idimo(_dot_)com
ICQ 313355492