RE: [SPFTAG] - RE: No use of checking RFC2822 headers - Sender is probably forged (SPF Softfail)

2004-09-29 07:15:45
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Stefan
Engelbert
Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 9:09 AM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: RE: [SPFTAG] - RE: [spf-discuss] No use of checking RFC2822
headers - Sender is probably forged (SPF Softfail)

I think this whole discussion is for nothing.
Considering that rarely people put their address as pretty
name you can
allready prefilter emails as spam which have a valid email address as
pretty name.
Maybe you can even consider to mark everything as SPAM which
has an @ in
the pretty name.

My company mandates that ALL users the pretty name shalt be their email address.

Most of our users comply.

Lots of other people do that to, perhaps not the majority, but a sufficient
minority to prevent
blocking on that logic to be reasonable.

Or you compare pretty name with addresss when pretty name is a valid
email address.

That's a good idea, barring typos and ignoring whitespace, that should work.

It think this pretty name discussion should be placed somewhere in a
SPAM Filter forum
and not in a SenderID Forum.

As long as SenderID is claiming to fix Phishing, I believe you to be incorrect.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

Kind Regards