Re: spf entries for which hosts ???

2004-10-11 12:19:01
On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 11:25:46AM +0200, Margrit Lottmann wrote:
| We are interested in SPF.
| I'm the postmaster from our university.

Thank you for your interest.

| We're working with a number of virtual domains
|      uni-magdeburg.de      for functional addresses
|      urz.uni-magdeburg.de  compute centre
|      mathematik.uni-magdeburg.de mathematics
| (in the DNS there are MX records that control smtp transfer
|  to that domains to our mailrelay servers (exim MTA)

the records for the virtual domains should describe the
outbound mailrelays.

| There are also a number of smtp servers that send/receive
| emails to/from that mailrelay servers.
|
| If there are following servers
|
|   server1.urz.uni-magdeburg.de
|   server2.et.uni-magdeburg.de
|   server3.math.uni-magdeburg.de
|
| that can send emails with the domain part urz.uni-magdeburg.de

the records for the servers themselves should just be
"v=spf1 a -all"

the domain urz.uni-magdeburg.de should have a record
"v=spf1 a:server1.urz.%{d2} a:server2.et.%{d2} a:server3.math.%{d2} -all"

The spf-help mailing list will be able to advise you further.

cheers
meng