Re: SES

2004-10-11 12:59:55
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 08:35:49AM -0400, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
Regression analysis shows that implementing DomainKeys at even the
largest ISPs will require little additional equipment.  For the common
case (under one million messages/day) DomainKeys doesn't even show up
on the profiling chart.

I'm not sure if you meant to say that the common case for the largest ISPs
was less than a million messages a day, but that's how it reads.  And I'm
not sure what you mean about "common case" in this context anyway.
isite.net was a very small ISP, and we did roughly a million an HOUR.

meer.net processes more than a million an hour per inbound system.

This problem scales as you add more inbound systems because spam bots try
each MX record, so the computational requirements increase each time you
add equipment.

So yes, maybe hobbyists can be worry free about their mail servers but this
kind of computation is extremely expensive for anything larger than a hobbyist.
(extremely expensive in the dollars and cents category)

--
Joe Rhett
Senior Geek