Re: spf entries for which hosts ???

2004-10-11 12:54:08
At 01:40 PM 10/11/2004, I wrote:
FOR OTHER LIST MEMBERS: I am interested in knowing if some of the AV plug in vendors also have plans for direct support of SPF. I ask because such support should make SPF deployment and acceptance at the MTA level easier. If so, could we consider adding a switch which might cause said AV plug in software to either send or not send a message back to the domain owner regarding the misuse of their name by another party? While it is the purpose of SPF to stop the domain name from being misused, it might also be useful for evidence gathering purposes to have data points documenting misuse when gathering evidence for any other actions a domain owner might want bring against individual(s) attempting to misuse their domain name in email spam. A switch mechanism here makes it easy for a domain owner to decide on how they might choose to actively learn of or not learn of such identity theft events taking place. With something like the "v=spf1 -ALL" syntax, the AV plug in would presume that the owner wants confirmation of abuse as opposed to "v=spf1 NOCONFIRM -ALL" were they would not. Perhaps the attorneys on this list might want to comment on the usefulness of or logic error being made in implementing this as regards evidence gathering procedures. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

I did not really type "-ALL" did I? DOH! I meant to type "v=spf1 -A" vs "v=spf1 NOCONFIRM -A".

Sorry for the confusion.

Best,

Alan Maitland
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/