Re: Re: Has Meng sold us out to M$?

2004-10-14 10:57:48
Koen Martens wrote:
On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:55:07AM +0200, jpinkerton wrote:

There were a total of some 7 volunteers asked for by Meng.  As far as I know
none are filled, people preferring to d that part of a job they feel
competent to do, and have time for.

Perhaps this says more about the job specifications than the community.

One of those positions has been volunteerd for: the 'customer support'
part. I have set up an RT and together with 3 other volunteers we are
now handling the spf requests coming in via the spf.pobox.com site.

I'd like to express my personal thanks to you, Koen, and to the folks attending to the RT system and spf-help for continuing to move the adoption of SPF forward. Yours is often a thankless, unacknowledged job; it is, however, crucial to SPF and similar technologies.

I'd also like to point out to the community (TINC) that I'm considering at least one of the positions that were called for. However, I am not a free agent, and I have responsibilities to my employer and others. Some of those responsibilities are of a legal and/or ethical nature, and my participation in this community (TINC) beyond the occasional email require various approvals. Those approvals are in the works, but have not yet been issued. Until I *do* have them, I cannot volunteer.

Please, folks, it's important to remember that not everyone who participates in SPF testing, development, specification, evangelism, etc., can make commitments of this nature without due process. While various individuals can or may make those commitments, for some of us, it takes time. Your forbearance is appreciated. And for the impatient among us, you would do well to remember that institutions and organizations rarely turn on a dime. Expecting them to do so will generally lead to unnecessary unhappiness and frustration.

Excessive expectations regarding volunteers will usually result in said volunteers walking away.

Bryce Ryan