Re: spf entries for which hosts ???

2004-10-11 12:40:00
Margrit,

Welcome to the list. I am just another member on this list, but will try to offer what I can, deferring to those who have lived with SPF far longer than I. If I have grossly erred, I welcome corrections. I also have a question included below for other members on the list regarding the usefulness of a new syntax option targeted to AV plug in software vendors and those who might also choose to implement the syntax element in their MTA software.

Margrit, as you understand from your attached, MX records are published in DNS Zone files for a domain and they guide other MTAs to the location of MTA(s) handling email service for a target domain.

SPF provides a vehicle to send information back to an SPF enabled MTA via DNS TXT records which are located in the DNS Zone file for a domain. The SPF TXT record provides any SPF enabled MTA servers information on which MTA(s) the domain owners are announcing should send email. The receiving MTA can check the incoming message's claimed header "FROM" domain against the actual domain's published DNS based SPF TXT record. In this way the receiving MTA can validate the source of the message sender by examining message "FROM" domain and comparing that to information in the SPF record which the domain's owners publish.

If the data validates, the message did come from the domain's claimed outbound MTAs. Was the message sent a spam? Who knows, that is not being checked for here.

Alternatively, if the data does not validate, we know that the sender of the message is using a "FROM" domain from a specific place that is not in the domain owner's published list of outbound MTAs for that domain. Was it spam? Again, we really don't know that for sure, but we certainly do know minimally that the source of the message sender checked against the domain owner's DNS SPF TXT record does not match that which the domain owners allow for sending email from their domain. So, when this happens, the message should be rejected for delivery in some way because the check failed.

FOR OTHER LIST MEMBERS: I am interested in knowing if some of the AV plug in vendors also have plans for direct support of SPF. I ask because such support should make SPF deployment and acceptance at the MTA level easier. If so, could we consider adding a switch which might cause said AV plug in software to either send or not send a message back to the domain owner regarding the misuse of their name by another party? While it is the purpose of SPF to stop the domain name from being misused, it might also be useful for evidence gathering purposes to have data points documenting misuse when gathering evidence for any other actions a domain owner might want bring against individual(s) attempting to misuse their domain name in email spam. A switch mechanism here makes it easy for a domain owner to decide on how they might choose to actively learn of or not learn of such identity theft events taking place. With something like the "v=spf1 -ALL" syntax, the AV plug in would presume that the owner wants confirmation of abuse as opposed to "v=spf1 NOCONFIRM -ALL" were they would not. Perhaps the attorneys on this list might want to comment on the usefulness of or logic error being made in implementing this as regards evidence gathering procedures. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.

In any case, getting back to Margrit's question, just like MX records, it is through the information you publish in a specially formatted DNS based TXT record that this processing can take place.

I believe that the TXT record was chosen because it is a logical choice, allowing people to quickly publish SPF records for their domain(s). This is true because I think that all DNS RFC compliant servers since the earliest days support the RR for TXT records, thereby eliminating any potential RR incompatibility issues among DNS servers that might occur with the introduction of a new RR type. The logical step forward from this mode of publishing is to migrate to an SPF DNS RR record, but that is not the case today. Today we use a specially formatted DNS based TXT record to publish an SPF record for a domain.

An syntax example for one of the simplest SPF records you might publish could look like this:

example.com.  IN TXT "v=spf1 -A"

The above means that no mail should ever come from example.com, so a receiving MTA which checks for SPF records should realize the owners don't publish email and therefore any message it receives claiming to be from example.com should not be delivered because no outbound MTA information for example.com was published in the SPF record.

You should visit the RFC at http://spf.pobox.com/draft-ietf-marid-protocol-00.txt to really learn about all of the syntax possibilities - this too is still being matured, but it is a great guide. Keep in mind as you read that any examples of syntax not explicitly shown in TXT records for readability and focus sake actually are contained in DNS based TXT records in a zone file for a domain - so for example on page 10 of the above referenced -

v=spf1 +mx +a -all

must be contained in a zone file TXT record, perhaps looking more like this in your zone file -

example.com IN TXT="v=spf1 +mx +a -all"

As zone files themselves may have different syntax constructs associated with them in different DNS service software vendor implementations, keeping DNS zone syntax out of specific SPF syntax examples allows the focus to remain on the SPF syntax.

As Koln mentioned, there is much available from http://SPF.POBOX.COM/ for you to review. Take some time to do so and it should become clearer how all of the syntax options behave and how to best implement them in your environment.

Hope this helped you a bit more.  Good luck.

Best,

Alan Maitland
The Commerce Company - Making Commerce Simple(sm)
http://WWW.Commerco.Com/