Re: SES

2004-10-03 13:08:04
On Sun, 2004-10-03 at 12:38, william(at)elan.net wrote:
I would point out that no matter if it is or not outside scope of that
list right now (my opionion is that is in scope), the charter for that
group is what is currently being debated on ietf-clear list, so if
something in that charter you think will make it impossible to discuss
SES, then come to ietf-clear list and discuss changes to the proposed
charter.

Yep!  And you will see I'm doing just that.  For the record, and for
anyone here who isn't aware the SES proposal involves a callback,
something that John Levine is very set against, unfortunately with no
really solid argument.  In fact, the only real downside to a UDP or TCP
based callback operating as a standalone service on a different port is
adoption, however I wager it would be easier to get people running this
service uses as much as or less bandwidth than DNS, on a non-root port (
1024), and adoption would probably kick ass over something as
encumbered as DK.

SES offers an alternative SMTP based callback which guarantees delivery
even in the face of slow adoption of the new service, and this has a
HUGE leg up over DK or any DNS based alternative and is poised to
leverage SPF adoption fully in its favour also.

I encourage anyone interested to do come over to the IETF-CLEAR list and
if you have two intelligent bits to add, do so.

Cheers,

James

--
James Couzens,