RE: SenderID and v=spf1 - Please say NO

2004-10-15 20:35:36
I was asked to clarify that my comment here was intended
to refer to the original proposal for spf=2, which was
as I indicated a completely footling and irrelevant issue
that was made for the sole reason of making the MARID
output incompatible with the deployed base.

At the time Microsoft and Meng both argued against it and
I was arguing that if you open that bottle then there is
more than one genie you will let out.

The current proposal has a different motive, in connection
with the patent issue but I think that in this context those
making the argument fail to understand what an open standard
is.

I was not in any case identifying any individual associated
with either party as being responsible for pushing anyones
buttons, I was merely asking people to stop and think for
a moment about the fact that there were always groups who
never wanted MARID to succeed in the first place and that
they include the people we are meant to be defeating here.

The spf=2 faction was a group of IETF blowhards who just
have to feel that they have done something important in
order to save the group from making a really serious error
they would regret - even when their proposal has absolutely
zero impact apart from making a lot of stuff that works
today stop working for no reason at all.