RE: SenderID and v=spf1 - Please say NO

2004-10-15 20:46:25
Philip,

<snip>

|Your biggest problem here is not Microsoft, it is the spammers
|and the people they pay to read these lists and stir up
|trouble.
|
|Before making kneejerk posts to the list take a few moments
|to think about whether someone has been deliberately pushing
|your buttons to make an issue out of something unimportant.
|You won't see the people responsible on the lists, but I
|have seen enough evidence that convinces me that they have
|been at work making sure that every disagreement obtains the
|widest possible readership.

<snip>

I have written to you off list, but since then I have decided to
respond to you publicly.

I always appreciate it when people are honest enough to disclose
their true colours. What do I mean? Dictators, thugs and bullies
use these sorts of "smear tactics" making wild accusations, while
attempting to distract the discussion and move it away from the
topic at hand.

I have no idea whom you are accusing of being in the pay of
spammers. I do know a lot of people on this list have put in many
long hours, while at the same time feel very strongly, Microsoft
please - go away.

My own position? And don't come back until you have the
appropriate papers in hand, being a disclaimer on the patents, so
confirming the good faith representations made by Harry Katz
during Marid and a draft patent license that is fully compatible
with the open standard alliance model.

If you are smearing me, please send me the name of your personal
attorney and I will raise the matter with him or her.

Right now, this group wants to move ahead with spf v2.

The issue of spf v1 records has been dealt with, the draft
protocol has been submitted. Section 4 of the specification is
quite clear:

4.  The check_host() Function

The check_host() function fetches SPF records, parses them, and
interprets them to evaluate if a particular host is or is not
permitted to send mail with a given "Mail From" identity.  Mail
receivers that perform this check MUST correctly evaluate the
check_host() function as described here.

Implementations MAY use a different algorithm than the canonical
algorithm defined here, so long as the results are the same.

Continued threats, smear tactics or efforts to bully people into
doing something that another party wants is simply a waste of
breath.

If Microsoft wants to proceed and use spf v1 records in violation
of this protocol, hey, it's a free country. But, it will just be
that much harder for Microsoft at day's end to gain approval for
any proposal it wishes to submit to the IESG.

For now, I strongly urge Microsoft and all the folks who are
advocating Microsoft's wants to please stop and let the folks on
this list simply get on with the job of putting together a
protocol for spf v2.

This is going to require a lot of effort. Time is important.
Continued convulsions over what one specific party wants or does
not want is simply wasting energy.

Since SPF is taking on the role of being custodian of the record
protocol for the "grand experiment," it owes its responsibilities
to the whole community and not just one corporation, group or
organization.

Further any solution needs to be available for use by the whole
community and not just one group or narrow segment. Hence my call
upon Microsoft to come forward with a proposal which includes a
draft patent license which is compatible with the open standards
alliance model.

People want to get on with the job, but we can't. Why? Because
every time things settle, someone starts throwing red mist in
front of people's eyes and demands we consider the wants of
Microsoft. Again, I say stop and let folks get on with the job.

As to your attempt at "persuasion" like I said, thanks for
telling us. Quite frankly, if the approach you have taken was not
so insulting, I would burst out laughing.

As Winston Churchill said during the War in response to Adolf
Hitler's threat to wring England's neck:

"some chicken, some neck."

John

John Glube
Toronto, Canada