RE: SenderID and v=spf1 - Please say NO

2004-10-15 12:51:26
I think you all misunderstand Mengs motives here.

Microsoft could not have cared one way or the other. it was
Meng who convinced them to go this route.

Basically the SPF syntax simply specified the set of IP
addresses of the outgoing mail servers. Once that information
is out there anyone can make use of that information in any
way they please.

The spf=2 faction was a group of IETF blowhards who just
have to feel that they have done something important in
order to save the group from making a really serious error
they would regret - even when their proposal has absolutely
zero impact apart from making a lot of stuff that works
today stop working for no reason at all.

Your biggest problem here is not Microsoft, it is the spammers
and the people they pay to read these lists and stir up
trouble.

Before making kneejerk posts to the list take a few moments
to think about whether someone has been deliberately pushing
your buttons to make an issue out of something unimportant.
You won't see the people responsible on the lists, but I
have seen enough evidence that convinces me that they have
been at work making sure that every disagreement obtains the
widest possible readership.

This is one of the reasons I would never have choosen the IETF
as a venue voluntarily. A consensus process is always vulnerable
to a denial of service attack.