RE: Re: When did we lose control?

2004-10-21 15:30:10
From: Frank Ellermann Sent: October 21, 2004 3:17 PM

|John Glube wrote:
|
||* the discussion be moderated by a chair with the
||assistance of a technical panel; and,
|
|So did you like the MARID experience ?  I did not.  We do
|have a kind of "area-director" here, if Meng has had enough
|he can pull the plug.  Or did you just volunteer as chair ?
|If Mark, Meng, James, Wayne, and William support you that
|should work.

He or she who proposes should be willing to serve. The
person who is chosen depends in part on acceptance by the
people you have listed and in part on the list as a whole.

||* prior to the submission of any revision, I urge this
||group to consider using the services of the "graybeards" to
||review the work.
|
|I don't know such services, do you have an example ?
|There's this old saying about adding more manpower to a
|project that is late.

http://www.graybeards.net/sirs/

During MARID, a number of people were advocating a security
and operations review of PRA. (This was ultimately accepted
by the WG Co-chairs.) When MAIL FROM checking was added, I
extended the request.

I believe an outside operations and security review of the
protocol for v=spf1 and especially any protocol for spf2
could be beneficial, presuming the individuals we ask are
willing to undertake the task.

Of course, the IESG by calling the RFC Editors of the
various MARID drafts to make submissions for consideration
as experimental proposals and requesting the Applications
Area Directors to establish a technical directorate to
conduct a focused technical review is conducting out the
same process.

As a result, some may consider this idea an unnecessary
redundancy.

My own view is that having any experimental proposal
reviewed in this fashion, prior to consideration by the
IESG's technical directorate would hopefully ensure any
significant "issues" are sorted out in advance.

John

John Glube
Toronto, Canada

The FTC Calls For Sender Authentication