Re: Has this been considered

2004-10-22 06:38:02
Meng Wong wrote:

Unfortunately to make this happen
we would now need to upgrading all the MUAs out there.

And why not?  Browsers did not used to do https   Every serious browser today
does because secure web transactions are a highly desired and widely used
feature.

If using email in a reasonably trustworthy environment is truly a desired
feature that will be widely used, then people will upgrade MUA's to get it.

It is clear Microsoft thinks this will happen.  No matter the technical,
social, legal, political aspects of their proposed scheme for improving email
trustworthiness, they are reasonably likely to be right about the driving
force. (I am not saying their market research crystal ball is infallible.  They
have had plenty of flops.  I am saying that in this case, they are likely to be
right.)

Mark Holm