Re: Sender ID in the news

2004-10-27 07:27:37
Hello!

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004 at 10:24:50AM -0400, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
On Wed, 27 Oct 2004, Hannah Schroeter wrote:

And, btw, there *might* be also forwarding setups where it isn't
the receiver who sets up the forward. Like coworkers setting up
a forward during vacation, or if I had a specific role in some
spare time project, and I were to vacation, I might setup a forward
to another participant of the project, either as part of a general
agreement or after specific permission or so.

Rewriting the MAIL FROM would be appropriate in the case above, either
with SRS or as a "bounce" (re-send).

Resend could create mail loops with this kind of setup.

Say S is an outside sender, F is the forwarding user, R is the
final recipient.

S->F, now F re-sends the mail automatically, so this creates a mail
F->R with envelope-from F. Something bounces, the bounce comes
from mail server M: M->F. F has the unconditional re-send setup,
so the bounce is sent F->R (env-from F). It bounces, ad infinitum.

SRS would work though, but F might not have the power to have his
provider setup SRS properly.

Kind regards,

Hannah.