Re: purely dual-format approach

2004-11-02 11:33:30
On Mon, 2004-11-01 at 16:34, Roger Moser wrote:
Greg Connor wrote:

2. There *might* be some cases where mfrom checking would work and PRA
checking would fail.  Therefore it's better to avoid any cross-pollenation
of the strains.

  2a. I know of some actual cases and they are not trivial.

In mail from Yahoo Groups (yahoogroups.com) the PRA is the original sender.

And that is indeed the From header.

Most probably Yahoo will not add a Resent-Sender: or Resent-From: header.

I'd rather hear from Yahoo themselves regarding this.

This means that all mail in a Yahoo Group from a domain that publishes an
SPF record will be rejected by any MTA that does PRA checking.

It was my understanding that most receivers would just add the result of
a PRA check to the spaminess of the message.

So if MTA's are going to use the currently published SPF records for PRA,
then mail through Yahoo Groups (and probably other mailing lists) will be
rejected and therefore the domain owners will remove there SPF records.

Just to be clear, that would be domain owners that are a result of PRA.
In the scenario you outlined above, that wouldn't be Yahoo. It would
only be for list members who publish SPF records. Yahoo doesn't
currently publish SPF records for returns.groups.yahoo.com.

But otherwise an excellent example.

--
Jeff Macdonald <jmacdonald(_at_)e-dialog(_dot_)com>
E-Dialog