RE: purely dual-format approach

2004-11-01 15:53:45
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com]On Behalf Of Roger
Moser
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2004 4:34 PM
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] purely dual-format approach

Greg Connor wrote:

2. There *might* be some cases where mfrom checking would
work and PRA
checking would fail.  Therefore it's better to avoid any
cross-pollenation
of the strains.

  2a. I know of some actual cases and they are not trivial.

In mail from Yahoo Groups (yahoogroups.com) the PRA is the
original sender.
Most probably Yahoo will not add a Resent-Sender: or

This means that all mail in a Yahoo Group from a domain that
publishes an
SPF record will be rejected by any MTA that does PRA checking.

So if MTA's are going to use the currently published SPF
records for PRA,
then mail through Yahoo Groups (and probably other mailing
lists) will be
rejected and therefore the domain owners will remove there
SPF records.

No I don't think so.

I think most likely MTA admins will disable PRA checking (assuming they can),
because usually it is
the users who scream at the their IT dept saying "how come I can no longer get
email from ...".  The
senders usually don't find out until later (assuming they *ever* read bounces)
that their messages
were not being delivered.

That's my experience, anyway.

Terry Fielder
Manager Software Development and Deployment
Great Gulf Homes / Ashton Woods Homes
terry(_at_)greatgulfhomes(_dot_)com
Fax: (416) 441-9085

Roger

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in
Atlanta features SPF and Sender ID.
To unsubscribe, change your address, or temporarily
deactivate your subscription,