RE: SRS/SES mailing lists?

2004-11-10 16:32:02
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of Paul
Iadonisi
Sent: dinsdag 9 november 2004 18:48
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com

So I've looked at SRS and SES in the past, but admittedly haven't
looked at either of them either closely enough or recently enough.
And even then, I only briefly tried an SRS socket map that
didn't work out (nothing major... my bad for not looking into it
further and reporting it) I think because I'm hosting more than one
virtual domain.

Must have been a while ago, indeed. :) SRS-socketmapd, in its current
state, is highly configurable (via m4), and has full support for virtual
domains; that is, it has a switch to self-sign all outgoing addresses
in Class=w, for one.

My basic question is, though I understand the principle difference
between SRS and SES (SRS rewrites MAIL FROM for forwarded
mail where SES rewrites MAIL FROM for all outgoing mail),

A common 'misconception', I would say. SRS can also be used to sign
ALL outgoing addresses. In fact, I have been using SRS for almost a
year now, for the sole purpose of creating self-signed MAIL FROM
addresses (in a scheme to prevent fake DSN messages).

Because if it does, I'm wondering why time is being spent on SRS
when SES provides the additional protection of preventing false
bounces even when implemented unilaterally.

SRS also provides protection against fake bounces. And has been serving
me well in that capacity for nearly a year now. ;) You can read more
about it at:

http://srs-socketmap.info/

Cheers,

- Mark