Microsoft claims the senderID license is free.

2004-11-09 23:46:35
Microsoft claims the senderID license is free.  But if I must give up
something of value, is it free?

From Microsoft's senderid_faq.pdf:

"Q3: Why is Microsoft asking people to take a license?
A: To ensure broad adoption of Sender ID, Microsoft is offering the Sender
ID patent rights on a royalty-free basis. We do require that licensees are
also willing to make their Sender ID patents available on a reciprocal
royalty-free basis."

Cool, only ISPs and large enterprises need the license.  Since I am not an
ISP or large enterprise, I guess I don't need a license.  Assuming I wanted
to use SenderID.

"Q5: Who needs to execute a license with Microsoft?
A: It's important to note that the license is only relevant to those
organizations (ISP, large enterprises) who will be checking e-mails using
the PRA check alternative of the Sender ID Framework need to secure a
license. Those simply publishing their Sender ID records do not need this
license."

Guy