Re: SRS/SES mailing lists?

2004-11-11 08:40:46
In <41931EE8(_dot_)2060103(_at_)ols(_dot_)es> David <david(_at_)ols(_dot_)es>
writes:

Hi !!

You are right, i desagrre. [...]
One of the problems with SES is key distribution, and that is an
ongoing cost.

you could use ses to sign the mailfrom without any need to
distribute keys, in fact, i cannot see anywhere on ses specs that
keys have to be available to others than the one who has signed
the mailfrom.

Uh, that's the point.  Keys have to be available to the one who has signed
the mailfrom, but not others.  You have to make sure that everyone who
needs to use SES has a key, including the examples I gave.

Similarly, if exmaple.com allows certain people to work from home,
those people either are forced to go through example.com's MTAs, or
somehow there needs to be a key (and SES software) given to the
employee.  With SPF+SRS, they can simply list that home user in their
record.

this is also possible with ses, there are no keys and policy is
published at spf records or inside the ses signature, so you have
the same flexibility.

No you don't.  You have to distribute keys to IP address authorized by
your SPF record, where as with SPF you just have to authorize IP
addresses.

So, I happen to agree with Meng.  I think the total work needed to do
SPF+SRS is less than SPF+SES.

that's mainly because you don't really know how ses works. I really
see a big difference about the work need between both systems.

Ok, I've read the SES specs.  I though I knew how it worked.  Nothing
you have said indicates that I don't.

In
<Pine(_dot_)LNX(_dot_)4(_dot_)60(_dot_)0411111304490(_dot_)5740(_at_)hermes-1(_dot_)csi(_dot_)cam(_dot_)ac(_dot_)uk>