Re: Odd Problem

2004-11-12 05:39:47
So how is SPF supposed to work?  Is it supposed to care about the
previous IP that the user used to connect?   I've got (and am getting
from this mailing list) the impression that it should not care, since
the mail server is authorized... but here is what I got from
barracude....  any insight?

--------------------------------
Galen,
This is why I believing your appliance is broken.   SPF is supposed to
care only about the final hop (ie between my mail server and the
recieving mail server).   Therefore, it should not care about what IP
the sender used (unless they tried to send directly), since they are
sending through the mail server.   In this case the user connected
first to the mail server, and then sent the mail.    If SPF required
me/us/everyone to include the IPs from our dial-up pools/high-speed
pools, it would be useless, as spam could be sent directly from a
non-authorized IP address.

Barracuda Support wrote:

Hello Matt,

The sender is from IP  198.69.X.X   does not match your SPF record
63.174.244.0/24

Regards,

Galen

Barracuda Technical Support Team
1-888-268-4772 / 1-408-342-5400
support(_at_)barracudanetworks(_dot_)com
Barracuda Online Tech Forum: http://forum.barracudanetworks.com
Barracuda User Manual
http://www.barracudanetworks.com/support/documentation.php