RE: Formal call for nominations for people to sit on the "SPF Leadership Council"

2004-11-13 19:24:08
Hi all,

I accept my nomination.  (Please excuse my late reply, I have been
somewhat occupied over the past week.)

If elected, I will abide by the mandate resulting from the SPF
organization poll.  But, although no campaigning period prior to the
election has been scheduled, before the election begins I will also post a
more detailed agenda of how I would like to advance the SPF project as a
council member.

Although I agree with Phillip Hallam-Baker that the nomination and
election process has been far from optimal up to now, I think the SPF
project needs some kind of steering committee ASAP that is democratically
elected and accepted by the project participants, if only to end the
endless, unproductive flamewars.

Thus I also agree that for stringency and simplicity reasons, quota
approval voting should be used like John Pinkerton initially provided:

John Pinkerton wrote:
When the time comes, everyone will be able to vote for five people, and
the names with most votes will be invited to form the SPF Leadership
Council.

I also think that in order to avoid further complications before and after
the election, the vote should be run publicly in a distinct thread on this
mailing list.

Julian.