RE: Sendmail white paper, SRS, and forwarding

2004-11-21 23:54:29
On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 17:06 -0500, terry(_at_)ashtonwoodshomes(_dot_)com wrote:
It would be better to have SRS happen _only_ if the original source
address has IP-dependent mechanisms followed by '-all', and preferably
also only if the recipient is known to check SPF.

How do you propose to know policies about the recipient?

It's not hard. Most people aren't actually throwing away valid mail by
rejecting for SPF failure -- there seem to be only a few who are willing
exercise their 'right' to do that.

If I get a report of a failure to deliver forwarded mail due to an SPF
failure, I contact the postmaster at the offending domain and explain
why their use of SPF is rejecting valid mail.

Often they haven't really thought about it or understood the problem
properly -- they've just been taken in by the bogus marketing on of SPF.
If they don't fix it by turning off their SPF checking (or at least
whitelisting my boxes) I get to consider whether I really do need to
send mail to that broken domain, or whether I'm happy to let them
exercise their right to break their own mail. If I really want to work
around their brain damage, I add them to my 'spf-afflicted-domains'
list.

--
dwmw2