Re[2]: URGENT: Community Position on SenderID

2004-11-26 04:29:22
Hello James,

NO:  SPF does not DROP email, it REJECTS it (big difference, with SPF sender
finds out their email
was not delivered.  A sender of a DROPPED email may never find out
automatically the message was not
received)

To be perfectly honest, if you are even REJECTING email purely based on
an SPF result, you are a gambling man.  What might be working for you
this very money will come back to haunt you, and the chances of this
occurring grow significantly greater with every passing day.

Cheers,

James

Forgive me for being naive, but I thought 'rejecting email purely based on an
SPF result' was what SPF was designed for? Obviously there are other reasons
for rejecting mail too, but surely if it fails the SPF test then that is good
enough reason to reject an email?

Please can you clarify this? Do you mean 'until SPF is ready for full
implementation'?

I can understand that 'today' it is a bad idea to reject mail based on an SPF
result as we are still ironing out issues with it, so it would probably be more
sensible to monitor the SPF result only, until we are all singing from the same
songsheet. But did you mean it will 'Always' be a bad idea to reject mail based
purely on an SPF result, as your email appeared to suggest?

Please can you clear this miss-understanding up for me?

--

 Peter Snow
 peter(_at_)snowweb(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk

        t. 023 9267 4332 (direct line at office)
        m. 07950 015292
SIP Phone. 1-747-669-9623

MSN Messenger: peterrsnow2(_at_)hotmail(_dot_)com
Yahoo!              : snowweb7
ICQ                   : 195019614

spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: [spf-discuss] URGENT: Community Position on SenderID

NO:  SPF does not DROP email, it REJECTS it (big difference,
with SPF sender finds out their email
was not delivered.  A sender of a DROPPED email may never find
out automatically the message was not
received)

To be perfectly honest, if you are even REJECTING email purely based on
an SPF result, you are a gambling man.  What might be working for you
this very money will come back to haunt you, and the chances of this
occurring grow significantly greater with every passing day.

Cheers,

James

http://www.InboxEvent.com/?s=d --- Inbox Event Nov 17-19 in Atlanta features
SPF and Sender ID.