RE: Ignoring rejected mail?

2004-12-01 11:43:25
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
[mailto:owner-spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com] On Behalf Of
Hannah
Schroeter
Sent: woensdag 1 december 2004 18:52
To: spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com
Subject: Re: [spf-discuss] Ignoring rejected mail?

Yes, I understand this.

I wanted to refer to the redundancy of your specific usage of SRS
for non-forwarding (i.e. the hostname in the SRS part equals the
"forwarder" hostname after the @).

Yes, I understand this. :) But that 'redundancy' offers me something a
regular address does not: the ability to detect fake DSN's.

Compare e.g. the SES format of "unique signatures":
S=XXXXXXX=admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net

That looks a lot like the short-cut SRS0 address I just came up with. :)

  "SRS0=GVNzlx65=OR=admin(_at_)asarian-host(_dot_)net"

(According to Working SES Format Definition 06, which is not current,
but I don't expect really *substantial* changes pertaining to this
argument. ok, it'd be =VXXXXXXX=local-part(_at_)domain, with X being some
time dependant "signature" and V an identifier for the exact validation
method used; not having a marker that it's SES is still under discussion
on the SES list as far as I see.)

I am glad you brought all this up, actually. Because, the way I see it,
SRS and SES can be used quite similarly. SES just adds a digest.

As irony would have it, though, the SES added "digest of the message,
which fully prevents an attacker from being able to re-use and existing
reverse-path with a new message," introduces a type of 'redistribution'
issue, not unlike the 'forwarding' problem the SES proponents so vocally
decry. Namely, where mailing lists/ISP's add their own little message
banner/Anti-Virus blurb. The trick for SES will be to keep things
sufficiently 'fuzzy', yet strict enough for the digest to be of any
relevance.

BTW, wasn't there a "without digest" signature in SES too?

- Mark

        System Administrator Asarian-host.org

---
"If you were supposed to understand it,