RE: Ignoring rejected mail?

2004-12-07 16:08:25
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 22:42 +0000, Mark wrote:
And, as I explained to David, if SES has to be done at each hop which adds
a header/text, then you're better off just doing a quick SRS rewrite.
David's argument has always been that SES 'survives' the travel through
multiple hops, and thus becomes a true end-to-end verification system.

That's never been my argument; at least not in that context. It survives
multiple 'hops' where your definition of a 'hop' is going from SMTP
server to SMTP server with standard forwarding, with no modifications.

It doesn't need survive multiple 'hops' where your definition of a 'hop'
includes going through a mailing list, which will often add stuff to the
body and almost always also changes the reverse-path.

You may be confused, because I've also pointed out that for crypto
validation of the RFC2822 From: header, you _would_ have to make it
survive through mailing lists. But SES doesn't need to survive that.

--
dwmw2