Re: Wildcat! SPF Support

2004-12-16 21:47:10

On Dec 16, 2004, at 11:30 PM, Hector Santos wrote:
I mean, what is a MTA?

MTAs are used for transit, both the sending and receiving side are MTAs.

In fact, you are technically incorrect by saying MTA because that means the "sender component" of a SMTP server is SPF compliant. No. If you want to be specific, it is a list of MDAs (the receiver) that is important in this
case.

No. I disagree completely with this. An MDA is for delivery into mailboxes. Cyrus is a perfect example of an MDA and it doesn't even speak SMTP. Many MTAs also incorporate MDA featuresets as well (like Exim, Postfix, Sendmail, etc. as they support writing maildir/mailspool/etc.).

In order to enforce SPF on the inbound side you need to be an MTA. And more so, delivery into a user's mailbox is not required. So, an MTA on the edge of ones network can implement SPF checking and enforcement on inbound messages and just store and forward legitimate mail to the inside.

But why confuse people? I would suggest to Just note down the supportive
SMTP servers/product names.  Simple.

I would say that the list should be Mail Transport Agents (MTAs) that support SPF validation and enforcement for inbound SMTP transactions. Specifically stay away from language like: SPF compliant MTAs as outbound only MTAs can be SPF compliant by simply saying they are.

// Theo Schlossnagle
// Principal Engineer -- http://www.omniti.com/~jesus/
// OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
// Ecelerity: fastest MTA on Earth