RE: Should I include major ISPs in SPF for our hosted domains?

2005-01-06 18:48:09
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, Julian Mehnle wrote:

And that can only mean that we have to advocate prevention of
cross-customer forgery more aggressively.  We might even want to write up
an RFC that explains what MTA implementors and ISPs have to do.

I do see two options for how to prevent cross-customer forgery
technically:

 1. Notice the SMTP-AUTH identity.  Receive the message including its
headers, and see if "From:"/"Sender:" matches the SMTP-AUTH identity.  If
not, reject the message after DATA.

I disagree.  The ISP should simply compare the MAIL FROM domain with
a list of domains allowed for that SMTP-AUTH identity, and reject/alter
if not included.  No checking of 2822 headers should occur at the SMTP level.
Especially so, since this is the SPF group and not the Sender ID group.