Re: Should I include major ISPs in SPF for our hosted domains?

2005-01-07 06:19:10

----- Original Message ----- From: "Julian Mehnle" <bulk(_at_)mehnle(_dot_)net>
To: <spf-discuss(_at_)v2(_dot_)listbox(_dot_)com>
Sent: Friday, January 07, 2005 7:51 AM
Subject: RE: [spf-discuss] Should I include major ISPs in SPF for our hosted domains?

Nico Kadel-Garcia [nkadel(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net] wrote:
And you'd better believe that the next crop of email worms will take
advantage of the locally stored user authentication to submit their spew
into the user's own upstream SMTP sites, some of them already have.

Well, that we will never be able to prevent.  Except for with per-user
message cryptography, with the user having to enter his password/-phrase
when signing and sending messages.

But once it's active per login, or you have an automatic user signature technique, the worms can and will use it to authenticate themselves outgoing. And correct me if I'm wrong, but what you're describing is that SMTP AUTH should prevent SPF message rejection, allowing any useror machine with an "authentic" account to forge anything through their authenticated upstream site, unless the upstream site uses things to prevent this, like, oh, say, I dunno. SPF?

This failure to perform SPF checks after some digital authentication is exactly why I think SenderID and similar approaches are mistaken, and the SenderID should not give an automatic SPF pass. *IF* it passes SPF, then SenderID or other authentication techniques can apply, but SPF needs badly to be first to keep a throttle on the email worms and spam and phishing forgeries.