Re: Re: DNS load research

2005-03-23 15:33:58
On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 14:01 -0700, David MacQuigg wrote:

Of course, nobody would be so dastardly as to organize something like this,
but it would be nice if we could make it completely implausible.  If it
takes more than five minutes to explain to a CNN reporter the absurdity of
blaming SPF, they will ignore the explanation and go with the sensational
story.

Just to put this in perspective, nothing is really keeping a virus
writer from putting the strings "CNN" or "Mother Teresa" in their virus
or what it does.  Remember the Windows source code leak that had symbols
named NSA?  I'm not sure how you protect against that, because it's a
social issue, slander/libel, really.  Although, I suppose you could make
a lot of Search Engine Optimizers waste a lot of time if you wrote a
virus that queried DNS for records named something like
        _pagerank._google.domain.com
        _rating._yahoo.domain.com
        _links.domain.com
...and someone eventually noticed these were being queried for.

--
Andy Bakun <spf(_at_)leave-it-to-grace(_dot_)com>