Re: Re: DNS load research

2005-03-23 15:41:40
Andy Bakun wrote:
On Wed, 2005-03-23 at 16:27 -0500, Radu Hociung wrote:

I forgot one thing:

After a few minutes of thinking how to fix this, admins figure out that by setting their servers to not respond to TXT queries makes the problem go away in seconds. UDP queries are not long lived, so if all TXT records disapeared at the same time, it would take only a few seconds for the storm to go away.

In other words, take SPF away, and the internet is back on its feet.

So how do you explain that SPF is not do blame?

Removing the SPF check stopped the virus from spreading?  Seems all
you've done is greased the channel it was using to propagate, since it
takes less time to use the same amount of bandwidth.

What I explained above was not the propagation mechanism of the virus.
It was only the attack mechanism.

The virus would propagate like any other, and there is (almost) nothing SPF-specific in the propagation part. Only that if it discriminates between the domains it picks for the "MAIL FROM". But once you remove the DNS server's response TXT queries, it becomes just as costly of a virus as any other.

But note that since the main victim of the attack is the DNS system, all other services that depend on DNS will be affected. A common virus mostly attacks the mail server's queues and so on. While that causes some network congestion, it is not a significant load on the DNS, so as long as the network is not saturated, DNS responses will still go through and the other services will be unaffected, especially the low-bandwidth ones (like NTP)

I seriously hope that the admins that are doing the above thinking think
a little bit longer than you've suggested they would.

I think the amount of time spent thinking will be inversely proportional with the seriousness of the symptom. It's human nature to react quicker to more serious problems. Anyway, that's how it's always been done in the past. I have no reason to hope that we will suddenly become rational when this virus hits ;)

Radu.